Spur of the moment Brunch

It's been a relaxing 4th of July weekend for us so far. Sushi and sauvignon blanc on Friday (a perfect pairing) and grilled filet mignon last night. I woke up this morning and really wanted brunch and mimosas. Knowing it's probably hectic with all the tourists in town, going into DC could be a problem. And sadly, VA doesn't allow bottomless mimosas, best part of brunch I think! I decided to stay home, make my own, and save some money.

Perusing my cabinets and fridge, I didn't have a lot to choose from so I became creative. First up, mimosas! A bottle of Andre and OJ, cant go wrong. Then I thought about what my favorite brunch item is...of course fried green tomato Benedict! Never made fried green tomatoes nor had any in the pantry. I settled on the basic eggs benedict. I used hamburger buns as my english muffin, poached eggs quickly in the microwave and made my own hollandaise. I broiled the buns to make them warm and a bit crispy. For the hollandaise, I blended 2 egg yolks, pinch of cayenne, splash of water, and some kosher salt. While blending I added 4 tbsp of melted butter to make it brothy. Final step; assembly!


This was a simple, spur of the moment brunch for a Sunday morning! Be creative with both the mimosa and the benedict. Use different juices, sparkling or even add purees.

Happy Brunching!

No comments:

Post a Comment